Date : 9th September 2023

Opposition :  Coldstream

Venue : Home

Scorers : Sam Straughan, Evan Smith

Booked : Ciaran Hatsell, Ross Aitchison

Sent Off : None

Attendance : 160

Referee : Konrad Spalony



Team Lineup :

Euan Robertson
Brad Smith
Craig Heath
Evan Smith
Rhys Dixon
Ciaran Hatsell
Ross Aitchison
Griffin Sabatini (T)
Sam Straughan
Rhys Bloomfield (c)
Craig Bell


Subs :

Joao Vieira
Calum Riddell
Jay Atkinson
Jake Gibson
Jack Forster on for Ciaran Hatsell 69 mins
Michael Robinson on for Craig Bell 69 mins
Jack Cummings


Match Report :


Coldstream came from behind to take the spoils from this Tweedside derby. A light breeze blowing across Shielfield did little to offset the heat, the referee allowing a 2 minute water break during the course of each half, the first of which ended goalless.

Though Coldstream enjoyed greater territorial advantage, both sides had chances of first half goals. Coldstream’s first came from their opening corner in the 3rd minute but Kieran Ingram couldn’t connect with the ball by the far post.

The referee played advantage as home skipper Rhys Bloomfield skipped out of an attempted foul and continued his advance to supply Sam Straughan but his delayed shot was blocked.
Trialist Griffin Sabatini dribbled his way into the box to lay the ball back to Straughan who, this time, saw his strike go round the post.

Just ahead of the first pause for water, Miguel Freire and Craig Heugh’s teamwork out on the left proved in vain when well placed Stuart Coyle swiped air instead of the ball.

Coyle was again out of luck when, with keeper Euan Robertson in trouble, Evan Smith stopped him scoring. Streamers’ custodian Matt Hall would also have been if, spotting him well off his line, Craig Bell had succeeded with an audacious bid to beat him from 50 yards. Fortunately for Hall, the ball hit an advertising board.

Rhys Dixon continued to keep winger Owen Renton under wraps again getting in the way of his attempted ball into the penalty area. The shout of, “Twenty seconds to go”, could be heard just before Iain Gay sent the corner ball over the bar.

A spectacular goal gave Tweedmouth the lead three minutes into the second half. Brad Smith dispatched a long, high cross from the right towards the far post where Straughan went airborne to head it into the net.

The visitors equalised eight minutes later. As a corner came over, Ciaran Hatsell pulled down Heugh. Hatsell was already on a yellow card and was fortunate that Konrad Spalony decided that the penalty, tucked away by Regan Graham, was sufficient sanction.

Ultimately, Rangers were undone by a trio of defensive errors. The Berwickshire team didn’t have to wait long for a second goal. This time things went right for Coyle who took full advantage when Robertson fumbled a shot which he had appeared likely to hold.

As the final 15 minutes approached, Coldstream’s harassment of Brad Smith and then Evan Smith paved the way for Freire to confidently drill the ball goalbound. The fourth goal came only two minutes later when the unnoticed Renton, who had switched flanks, stuck out a foot to squeeze an innocuous looking cross into the net. He again showed determination when cutting inside to pick his spot but this time his effort hit the post.

With the score at 2-1, Hall had prevented an equaliser by winning a one on one with Bloomfield. He was spared when Ross Aitchison ducked to let Evan Smith get at a relatively low Bloomfield corner but he headed wide. Tweedmouth’s central defender though would claim a rare goal five minutes from time by firing in when getting the second touch to another corner ball from Bloomfield.