Date : 1st September 2023

Opposition :  Edinburgh College

Venue : Away

Scorers : Craig Bell (pen)

Booked : None

Sent Off : Kieran Cromarty

Attendance : 53

Referee : Konrad Spalony



Team Lineup :

Euan Robertson
Rhys Dixon
Kieran Cromarty (T)
Evan Smith
Christian Temple
Ciaran Hatsell
Ross Aitchison
Jack Cummings
Sam Straughan
Rhys Bloomfield (c)
Craig Bell


Subs :

Leighton Robertson
Ryan Dunn
Joao Vieira on for Christian Temple 67 mins
Brad Smith on for Jack Cummings 83 mins
Jay Atkinson on for Sam Straughan 58 mins
Jake Gibson
Khaz Mdalasini on for Craig Bell 83 mins


Match Report :

Defeat aside, Tweedmouth suffered a double blow with the loss of two players which had a bearing on the final outcome under the lights on the Heriot Watt University campus.

First to go was Kieran Cromarty, red carded as last outfield man for pulling down Kyle Robertson when he latched on to yet another long ball, a favoured tactic of the home side on the hard, plastic surface throughout the opening forty five minutes. This one arrived seconds before half time leaving Tweedmouth a man short for half the game and forcing a reshuffle in formation. Ciaran Hatsell moved back to replace Cromarty who, playing as a trialist, had made some timely legal interventions during his time on the pitch.

With the score at 2-1, Tweedmouth also lost Christian Temple in obvious pain with hamstring trouble. His replacement, Joao Vieira, hardly had time to settle before Sam Kelly effectively put the game beyond the visitors by making it 3-1 on 68 minutes.

The College had also lost Sami El Yamani in the first half, injured in a challenge on Rhys Bloomfield which earned a free kick. Jonathan Kay was sent on in his place.

Edinburgh’s hopes of catching out Rangers with long balls over the top did not bear fruit until three minutes from the break when Iain Laver levelled the scores just a minute after Rangers went in front.

Their goal rounded off a purple patch which included an excellent move involving Bell, Ross Aitchison and Rhys Dixon before it terminated with keeper Cairns holding Bloomfield’s shot. Maintaining the pressure, Bell was impeded when he jumped to meet Dixon’s cross and neatly tucked away the penalty kick himself.

As they sought to take immediate advantage of their numerical superiority, Edinburgh College peppered Rangers’ goal with shots almost non stop during the first 15 minutes of the second period with Robertson, Blair Ramage and Jack Temple all overestimating the height of the goal. Robertson also headed over the bar. It took a well hit lower effort from former Berwick Rangers player Jack Cook to finally give them the lead after 63 minutes.

Tweedmouth came back with a move instigated by an astute pass from Jack Cummings. It produced a corner which the home defence misjudged but Rangers could not turn Bloomfield’s kick into the net. Another mix up followed giving Bell a free shot at goal but his volley was too hard and too high.

A skilful round of inter-passing might have led to the fourth goal for which voices from the home technical area were clamouring but Euan Robertson made a good save from Joshua Fital to ensure that it didn’t.

The result took the College to top spot on the East of Scotland Second Division ladder with Tweedmouth, having played two games fewer, still looking for their first points and with an increasingly worrying injury list.