Date : 25th November 2023

Opposition :  Edinburgh South

Venue : Away

Scorers : None

Booked : Griffin Sabatini, Rhys Bloomfield, Sam Straughan

Sent Off : None

Attendance : 27

Referee : Tommi Kerr



Team Lineup :

Aaron Jones
Rhys Dixon
Craig Heath
Evan Smith
Joe Hamill
Riley Lightfoot
Ross Aitchison
Griffin Sabatini
Craig Bell
Rhys Bloomfield (C)
Michael Robinson


Subs :

Jake Gibson
Sam Straughan on for Michael Robinson 75 mins
Jack Cummings
Leighton Robertson


Match Report :


There were still some patches of frost on the edges of the plastic pitch at the John Brydson Arena as this King Cup First Round tie got underway.

The University, a division above Tweedmouth in the East of Scotland League, took the lead in the 9th minute. Aaron Jones was compelled to go out to the edge of his area to try to deal with Campbell Marr but fouled him in the process. A penalty was awarded, home skipper Barney Stewart successful with the kick.

Seven minutes later, with Jones off his line, Stewart passed up an opportunity to score again with a poorly executed lob.

It was an inauspicious start for Rangers’ new on loan goalkeeper but he put it behind him, twice in the first half moving quickly to fist clear dangerous balls and repeating the action on another occasion during the second.

The Edinburgh team had already tried to utilise the pace of no. 9 Nandom Domyil to create further goals but when he did find the net in the 27th minute, it was from an almost stationary position as third receiver in a line of players facing the goal about 20 yards out.

Before half time, Rangers just managed to avoid an own goal with Watt again failing to take advantage when the ball came back out to them.

Tweedmouth almost scored immediately after the restart. Ross Aitchison picked out Michael Robinson whose volley had goalie Diego D’Arcy Sanchez at full stretch and fortunate that the ball hit the bar before dropping behind for a goal kick.

A good through ball released Craig Bell to take on the home defence from just inside their half but he was gradually forced wide and out of range.

Delayed by postponed matches, this game also marked Joe Hamill’s debut as a signed Tweedmouth player. The most pleasing aspect for his new club, especially in the second half, was the defensive performance of the back four of which he formed part alongside Rhys Dixon, Craig Heath and Evan Smith. This included, on a number of occasions, catching Watt offside or forcing players into long or awkward angled shots.

Rangers persevered in their efforts to stay in the game. Riley Lightfoot beat the ball to the bye line to pass back to Bell. D’Arcy Sanchez had to get down to hold his shot. Hamill sent a great cross into the box which Rhys Bloomfield couldn’t quite meet.

The third goal, in the dying seconds, was tough on Tweedmouth. It came when the ball ran loose after Jones saved from Callum Holmes leaving Scott Peggie with a simple tap in. The final three goal margin painted a distorted picture of the game.