Date : 26th July 2023

Opposition :  Dunbar United U20s

Venue : Home

Scorers : Craig Bell 2, Rhys Bloomfield 2

Booked : Christian Temple

Sent Off : None

Attendance : 115

Referee : Kevin Home



Team Lineup :

Danny Fletcher
Brad Smith
Joao Vieira
Evan Smith
Jake Gibson
Rhys Dixon
Jack Cummings
Craig Bell
Rhys Bloomfield (c)
Michael Robinson
Khaz Mdalasini

Subs :

Euan Robertson
Kieran Cromarty
Leighton Robertson
Sam Straughan on for Khaz Mdalasini 52 mins
Christian Temple on for Jake Gibson 58 mins
Jay Atkinson on for Michael Robinson  56 mins
Trialist on for Craig Bell 80 mins


Match Report :

Tweedmouth Rangers were never behind in their last pre-season friendly but were given a good game by an impressive Dunbar Under 20s. Managed by former Tweedmouth goalkeeper Stuart Allan, the visitors included only one overage player in their squad, the experienced Willis Hare starting in the middle of their defence.

It was one of Rangers’ own under twenties, Jack Cummings, who paved the way for the first goal on seven minutes. Ignoring Rhys Bloomfield’s call for the ball to be sent out wide, he opted to forward it directly to Craig Bell to chip it on and roll into the net off the hand of keeper Jake Henderson.

The visitors got a big confidence boost from a great tackle by Keir Bruce on Bloomfield after Joao Vieira put him on his way into the away penalty area. Dunbar though could not contain Rangers’ captain after he took a perfectly directed long ball from Jake Gibson before going past both Henderson and Thomas Allan to double the lead in the 28th minute.

Dunbar responded just a couple of minutes later. Daniel Hall knocked in a corner ball near the far post. He had already caught the eye having dribbled through the home defence after robbing Michael Robinson but finished his run by firing over the bar. Through again just before he scored, he could only manage a weak shot easily held by Danny Fletcher.

The Dunbar defence was prised open again by some smart interplay between Bloomfield and Bell, the latter unlucky to see his shot come back off the post. Similarly Robinson when his strike from 40 yards rose above the bar after he spotted Henderson well off his line.

Back upfield, Hall threatened again but Fletcher made a good save to keep it at 2-1 at the break.

The second half was an even more proverbial end to end affair. Dunbar opened with successive crosses from Connor Carmichael. Jasiu Zakrzewski sent one wide and headed the other too high. With Robinson and Sam Straughan involved in the lead up, Bell was out of luck again, Henderson saving with his foot. Bloomfield and Straughan then created space for Bell to have another go, this time successfully with the best goal of the evening.

Dunbar continued to show plenty of fight and their pressure paid off with a 66th minute penalty with which Ally Dickson confidently shook the centre of the net. Searching for an equaliser, Calum Richards’ shot from just outside the area finished a mere inch or two over the bar.

Although Rangers’ surges up the flanks seemed most likely to produce results, it was a shorter ball from Jay Atkinson to Bloomfield which could have put them out of sight had Henderson not again been on form. This save presented Tweedmouth with their first corner of the second half with less than ten minutes on the clock. When it stopped with the final whistle, the home side were still on the attack.