Date : 5th August 2023

Opposition :  Burntisland Shipyard

Venue : Away

Scorers : Craig Bell 2, Khaz Mdalasini

Booked : Rhys Bloomfield

Sent Off : Joao Vieira

Attendance : 92

Referee : William McAleese



Team Lineup :

Danny Fletcher
Brad Smith
Joao Vieira
Evan Smith
Christian Temple
Rhys Dixon
Ross Aitchison
Jack Cummings
Craig Bell
Rhys Bloomfield (c)
Michael Robinson


Subs :

Euan Robertson
Leighton Robertson
Sam Straughan on for Michael Robinson 45 mins
Khaz Mdalasini on for Craig Bell
Jack Forster on for Brad Smith 45 mins


Match Report :

Tweedmouth Rangers were desperately unlucky to leave Recreation Park empty handed from a game in which they were forced to play more than 55 minutes a man short against a team newly relegated from the East of Scotland League First Division.

Twelve minutes in, they lost Joao Vieira to a straight red when, as last outfield man, he was judged to have clipped Shaun Keatings’ ankles. Coincidentally, Keatings would not see out the game either.

Evan Smith had already nailed Ryan Watt as he advanced on taking a back heeled pass propelled his way by Ben Anthony. In an enforced reshuffle, Evan was joined by Ross Aitchison in the centre of defence. The pair hardly put a foot wrong as, despite launching attack after attack, ‘The Shippy’ failed to find the net in the first half.

Danny Fletcher tipped the free kick awarded for the red card over the bar and again saved from taker Keatings when he fired from an angle after a long ball up the left reached him.

Despite wearing no.9, Anthony was often seen prowling the left wing and from his corner on that side Iain Millar headed across goal. Anthony then created an even better chance for Watt who was inexplicably way off target from right in front of goal.

Rangers’ captain Rhys Bloomfield once more showed he was at home on either wing and after crossing to the left, beat four men on a 70 yard run close to the touchline. It was one of only three meaningful Tweedmouth first half attacks but the last of the three produced a goal a few minutes ahead of half time. Jack Cummings found Craig Bell who had two defenders in front of him but was still able to send the ball rolling gently beyond the third man, keeper Scott Costello, and into the net off the post.

The Cummings/Bell combo struck again just past the hour. This time the ball from Bell hit Costello on its way over the line.

There was an element of doubt about the two goals which brought Burntisland back into the game. Not all observers were convinced Aitchison fouled Cameron Lewis but a penalty was awarded and converted by Keatings. Though Tweedmouth were often successful in catching the Fifers offside, Anthony was allowed to continue and volley past Fletcher as the game entered the final ten minutes of regular time. By this stage, Burntisland were also playing with ten men. Keatings was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Christian Temple having already been cautioned for one on Fletcher immediately after the penalty.

Michael Gibb was responsible for the ball nestling in the bottom corner of the net after connecting with a good pass from his right. A mix up in Rangers’ midfield then enabled Anthony to go on for his second score of the afternoon and now give his team a two goal lead.

With the match entering stoppage time, Tweedmouth scored again. The home defence failed to spot Khaz Mdalasini as he dashed forward to meet Bloomfield’s corner with a bullet header but on the final whistle, the Shipyard had secured a second successive 4-3 home win after midweek victory over Edinburgh United.