Date : 23rd April 2024

Opposition : Ormiston Primrose

Venue : Away

Scorers : Cameron Howden, Rhys Bloomfield, Ross Aitchison (pen)

Booked : Tommy Malcolm, Griffin Sabatini

Sent Off : None

Attendance : 64

Referee : Blair McAlpine



Team Lineup :

Ryan Dunn
Tommy Malcolm
Rhys Dixon
Craig Heath
Christian Temple
Riley Lightfoot
Griffin Sabatini
Ross Aitchison
Cameron Howden
Craig Bell
Rhys Bloomfield (c)


Subs :

Jake Gibson
Leighton Robertson
Adam Deans
TJ Adebayo on for Griffin Sabatini 82 mins
Evan Smith on for Christian Temple 77 mins


Match Report :

Tweedmouth completed a first League double of the season with an ultimately comfortable win in East Lothian.

A key moment came twenty five minutes into the second half. With Rangers still only one goal up, Ormiston’s Sam Bird broke upfield following an away corner. Riley Lightfoot gave chase but Bird was already in his stride and looking a good bet to score until Ryan Dunn produced a stylish save.

Despite the visitors clearly the better team, had Bird been successful the final outcome could have been very different. Instead, Rangers went on to consolidate their 5th minute lead with two further goals on a night when they also thrice struck the metalwork.

Cammy Howden got the opener after stealing the ball from Kerr Marr a little outside the penalty area and confidently went on to beat keeper Kieran Beveridge. Rather like at Edinburgh United the previous Saturday, Tweedmouth were playing the football but had little else to show for it when the half time whistle went.

Griffin Sabatini hit the underside of the bar. Scoring bids from Ross Aitchison, first with head and then with foot, finished too high. Christian Temple’s long, low drive finished just wide of the post as did Rhys Bloomfield’s shot after he cut inside on taking Sabatini’s crossfield ball. Close to half time, Beveridge pushed away an on target header from Craig Heath, upfield to meet Rhys Dixon’s free kick.

Ormiston were at their best in the opening segment of the second half. A free kick dropped behind the away defence but Scott Moffat didn’t react quickly enough to make the most of the opportunity. Soon afterwards, on the end of Aitchison’s pass, Howden hit the bar.

Frustration saw the hosts pick up five bookings as against Tweedmouth’s two. Before Bird’s solo run Beveridge kept them in the game with a good save from Aitchison who went on to play a role in his side’s second goal with the ball going from him to Craig Bell and on to Bloomfield to beat the now hopelessly exposed home goalie.

The match had just entered its final ten minutes when, with Rangers again with numbers well inside the home box, Bell was fouled. Aitchison converted the penalty to make it 3-0.

Bell went on to hit the post before again setting up Bloomfield for another shot which produced a further good stop from Ormi’s keeper and captain.

Next up for Tweedmouth is their penultimate home game of the season against promotion chasing Armadale Thistle. Kick off at Shielfield on Saturday, April 27th is 2:30 p.m.