Date : 9th August 2022

Opposition : Edinburgh South

Venue : Home

Scorers : Michael Robinson (2), Regan Graham, Joao Vieira

Booked : Rhys Bloomfield

Sent Off : Craig Bell

TRFC Man of the Match :  TBC

Attendance : 61



Team Lineup :

Niall Frampton
Joao Vieira
Rhys Dixon
Evan Smith
Craig Heath
Craig Colquhoun
Jack Forster
Drew Cummings
Regan Graham
Melvin Sebastian
Michael Robinson

Subs :

Adam Deans on for Jack Forster 82 mins
Craig Bell on for Michael Robinson 61 mins
Rhys Bloomfield on for Craig Colquhoun 61 mins


Programme Cover :

To follow


Match Report :

Following a brilliant first half, a disastrous second saw Tweedmouth Rangers eliminated from the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup at the first hurdle.


There was only one team in it as Tweedmouth swept into what should have been an unassailable 4-0 lead. They twice came close to scoring inside the opening 20 minutes. Michael Robinson’s low cross meant for Regan Graham was kicked away for a corner before Rangers’ captain could reach it whilst the ball skimmed the far post when Craig Colquhoun hit Drew Cummings’ accurate crossfield pass on the run.

Jack Forster put Robinson through for the first goal, the referee indicating that in spite of South’s shouts to the contrary, he was definitely onside. Graham took advantage of a defensive error to make it 2-0 in the 28th minute. Five minutes later, Joao Vieira hooked the skipper’s corner into the net and, a minute from the interval, Robinson, played in by Colquhoun, snatched his second of the night.

Edinburgh’s best effort was a ferocious flyer from Declan Quinn which almost scraped the top of the post but for the most part, the visitors’ play was disjointed with a number of passes ending up in touch.


Whatever was said during Edinburgh’s half time pep talk certainly worked as they went on to turn the tables on Tweedmouth. They received an immediate boost when Quinn cut the arrears off the post literally seconds into the new half. He grabbed a second on 55 minutes after careless play from the hosts but was soon forced to leave the field with what appeared to be a serious hand injury.

William Scott turned to hit a bouncer over the bar and Niall Frampton made a double save from former Berwick Ranger Ross Brady as South continued to press.

Home nerves could have been calmed when Cummings outpaced the cover but fired wide of the post as Gilpin came out to meet him.

Receiving a pass from a free kick, Scott again turned to strike and this time was successful thus reducing Rangers’ lead to a single goal.

The 72nd minute equaliser was controversial. A stramash inside the goal area followed a corner. To the surprise of the defenders, the referee decided that at some point the ball had crossed the line. Scott Siegel claimed it as his goal.

Six minutes later, Scott paved the way for Brady’s fine finish, prompting jubilation amongst the visiting ranks. There was more drama to come. Edinburgh South coach Keith McLeod, who wasn’t playing, was sent to the changing room after deliberately causing delay to play by the touchline.

Rangers’ Craig Bell was also shown a straight red after being deemed to have made dangerous contact with Gilpin when the keeper went down for the ball.


The visiting neutrals would have considered this to be action-packed entertainment. Edinburgh South will be talking about it for some time. Tweedmouth may wish to forget it but need to work out ways to avoid second half collapses.



Pictures :

No photographer present