Date : 8th April 2023

Opposition :  Stirling University

Venue : Away

Scorers : Jack Cummings

Booked : Jake Gibson, Adam Deans

Sent Off : None

Attendance : 20

Referee : John Fairley Jr



Team Lineup :

Niall Frampton
Connor Brian
Kieran Cromarty
Evan Smith
Rhys Dixon
Rhys Bloomfield
Drew Cummings
Jack Forster
Regan Graham
Jack Cummings
Jake Gibson

Subs :

Jack Jones on for Connor Brian 72 mins
Adam Deans on for Jake Gibson 48 mins


Match Report :

Tweedmouth took a 4th minute lead at sun drenched Gannochy Sports Centre on the University’s Bridge of Allan campus. Jack Forster jumped to block an attempted Stirling kick downfield giving possession back to the visitors. Drew Cummings went on to set up brother Jack for his first competitive goal for Rangers.

It was 1-1 six minutes later, Jack Docherty with the first of a brace after the students broke through the middle. He didn’t have to wait long for his second. Abel Manomey hit the post, Docherty on hand to net from a narrow angle when the ball came back out.

Whilst the team representing ‘Scotland’s University of Sporting Excellence’ certainly didn’t lack skill, it was their pace, and of certain individuals in particular, which caused Tweedmouth the most problems. Thirty one year old Manomey, living up to his forename, was one of them and was heavily involved as the match was effectively decided by a burst of three goals inside four minutes. First up, Manomey fired in from the right and although Niall Frampton slapped away his shot, Ben Mitchell was perfectly positioned to return the ball past the keeper.

Ryan Lennon streaked down the right flank to set up Manomey for the fourth goal before Mitchell claimed his second to make it 5-1 with barely half an hour played.

Rangers steadied after this. Kieran Cromarty headed into the side netting as he met Regan Graham’s free kick awarded for a foul on Rhys Bloomfield. Forster, the standout amongst Rangers’ battlers, sent Jack Cummings racing forward. With the chasing pack on his heels, he tried to beat Euan Dallas on the keeper’s left side but the ball travelled wide.

Tweedmouth created more chances during the second half. Drew Cummings finished off one of their best lead ins with a shot from outside the box which finished just a couple of feet above the bar. Several times, Bloomfield beat the cover to send over low crosses from the left. Dallas got a hand to two of them and a foot to another to snuff out the danger.

When Stirling extended their lead it was through an own goal. Manomey again connected with a Lennon cross, Cromarty unlucky to see his attempted clearance hit the post before going in.

Substitute Ojochemi Kanwei won the battle for a bobbing ball to run on to score the next goal.

A long throw in from Jack Jones provided space for Adam Deans to strike hard enough for Dallas able only to parry the ball. At the away end, Mitchell wrapped up the scoring from the penalty spot after Jones’ right foot caught Kanwei.

So a lesson from the students on a day when Tweedmouth were forced to play several men out of position. However, as a consequence of other results, their League position remains unchanged i.e. eighth in the seventeen team East of Scotland Second Division.