Date : 7th September 2022

Opposition :  Easthouses Lily

Venue : Away

Scorers : Drew Cummings (pen)

Booked : Rhys Dixon, Drew Cummings, Stevie Mason

Sent Off : Melvin Sebastian

TRFC Man of the Match :  TBC

Attendance : 66



Team Lineup :

Stevie Mason
Kyle Wood
Rhys Dixon
Evan Smith
Craig Heath
Craig Colquhoun
Jack Forster
Drew Cummings
Regan Graham
Melvin Sebastian
Michael Robinson

Subs :

Jay Atkinson
Craig Bell on for Craig Colquhoun 71 mins
Kieran Cromarty on for Michael Robinson 86 mins
Rhys Bloomfield on for Jack Forster 46 mins
Joao Vieira
Adam Deans
Jay Atkinson


Programme Cover :

None, away game


Match Report :

In a lively encounter at Newbattle Complex, these teams battled for a point each, almost literally so near the end of the match. Players jostling for position as they awaited a home corner turned into a melee which led to the dismissal of Tweedmouth’s Melvin Sebastian and Lee Smith of Easthouses. Half of the game’s yellow cards however, equally divided across both teams, were for chat rather than foul play.


The opening 20 minutes were literally end to end. It was a scary start for home goalie Daniel Simpson. He recovered in time to drop on the ball when harried by Kyle Wood, way upfield chasing a long ball. Then with his defence in disarray, was thankful that Craig Colquhoun’s attempt to cash in from outside the penalty area finished wide of his goal.

Perhaps fittingly after a lot of high balls on a pitch which still took a bounce despite its ‘re-greening’ by recent rain, the opening goal came from a header. Rangers’ Rhys Dixon headed off the line but the ball came back in for Michael Hunter to make it 1-0 after 22 minutes.

Hunter, along with centre back partner Ryan Kearney, was one reason why the game produced few goals. Equally, Evan Smith was outstanding at the heart of the away defence, ably assisted by Craig Heath.

Lily might have quickly doubled their lead had Jack Neilson been able to get a touch to Scott Hunter’s cross but it was Tweedmouth who now began to have the edge. Following Sebastian’s deceptive shuffle across field, another Colquhoun shot brought a corner, quickly followed by Lily blocking Michael Robinson’s hit.

Sebastian soon played the ball through to Robinson for an even better chance but Simpson saved.


Tweedmouth’s starting eleven was the same as at Lochgelly the previous Saturday but they now introduced Rhys Bloomfield at half time with Regan Graham dropping into midfield. Simpson saved again after Graham sent Bloomfield away on a scorching run up the left but not before some early Easthouses pressure.

Neilson was unsuccessful with an overhead kick from another Scott Hunter cross. With a trio of Tweedmouth men confused by another bouncing ball, Ali Adams tried to lob keeper Stephen Mason but the ball did not end up where he had hoped. Mason went on to make an excellent save from ex-Arniston Ranger Gary Shearer.

Bloomfield’s run disrupted Easthouses’ momentum but before Rangers’ second substitution, Mason went low to save Neilson’s back heeler and Wood stopped another ball on the line. Both incidents followed corners conceded as, in Tweedmouth manager Neil Oliver’s words, his team ‘dug in’ during a sometimes trying second half.

As the clock approached the final ten minutes, Bloomfield was fouled twice in rapid succession. The second offence was costly for the Midlothian men. Seconds on from the free kick, Craig Bell was dropped inside the box. Drew Cummings beat Simpson from the spot to make it 1-all.

Mason made two terrific saves to again protect his goal and Rangers brought on Kieran Cromarty to help the defence see out the remaining time.


Leaving aside the bother at the end this was an entertaining game, Tweedmouth’s first of the season under lights. It was also their first draw for more than a season.


Pictures :

No photographer present.