Date : 25th February 2023

Opposition :  Whitburn

Venue : Away

Scorers : None

Booked : Joao Vieira

Sent Off : None

Attendance : 232



Team Lineup :

Stevie Mason
Joao Vieira
Kieran Cromarty
Evan Smith
Rhys Dixon
Rhys Bloomfield
Drew Cummings
Jack Forster
Regan Graham
Craig Bell
Michael Robinson

Subs :

Niall Frampton
Jack Cummings on for Craig Bell 72 mins
Jay Atkinson on for Michael Robinson 82 mins


Match Report :

In front of the biggest crowd to watch them so far this season, Tweedmouth took on the East of Scotland Second Division leaders at Central Park. Despite having to play 80 minutes with only ten men, the West Lothian side showed exactly why they are sitting on top of the table; a well drilled team with a physical presence, plenty of pace and a canny ability to anticipate the actions of their opponents.

Winning the chase for the ball, Joao Vieira diffused Whitburn’s first attack with a thumping kick out of play. Keeper Stephen Mason then rose to turn Ross Crawford’s shot over his bar for a corner before Evan Smith stopped Lewis Milton just 12 yards out from goal.

But the incident which provoked some heated discussion amongst the home supporters occurred at the other end. Outside his area, home goalkeeper Daniel Potts brought down Craig Bell and was shown the red card.

Five minutes later, Darren Liddell headed home a short cross to put the hosts in front before they ruthlessly punished Tweedmouth for defensive hesitancy with further first half goals from Reece Duncan and Andy Johnston.

Yet, Tweedmouth could take heart from their performance in the second half, much of which was played inside the home section of the field. Five minutes in, Michael Robinson glanced a header wide of the far post off Drew Cummings’ cross. He was out of luck once more as ‘The Burnie’s ‘ replacement keeper Blair Gallagher denied him a goal at the end of Rangers’ best attack up to that point.

Whitburn’s final goal came against the run of play. Earlier in the half, Mason made a two handed save following a high corner ball but one sent over in the 75th minute landed on the deck and with Rangers struggling to clear it, Mick McGarahan pounced to make it 4-0.

With their two starting front men replaced by teenagers Jay Atkinson and Jack Cummings, Tweedmouth continued to press for a goal. Both were involved in some feisty tussles for the ball challenged by two or three opponents at a time as Whitburn worked to keep a clean sheet.

Twice, Rhys Bloomfield broke through courtesy of Jack Forster and Regan Graham respectively. In the first instance, Gallagher stopped his volley with his fist. In the other, the ball, hit on the run, finished over the bar.


Photographs :


Courtesy of Ann Haddow, these are only a selection, for the full album, please click here.