Date : 1st October 2022

Opposition :  Syngenta

Venue : Home

Scorers : None

Booked : None

Sent Off : None

TRFC Man of the Match :  TBC

Attendance : 42



Team Lineup :

Stevie Mason
Adam Deans
Kieran Cromarty
Kyle Wood
Rhys Dixon
Rhys Bloomfield
Jack Forster
Drew Cummings
Regan Graham
Craig Bell
Michael Robinson

Subs :

Jay Atkinson on for Craig Bell 70 mins
Joao Vieira on for Rhys Dixon 70 mins
Melvin Sebastian on for Adam Deans 45 mins
Jack Cummings on for Rhys Bloomfield 78 mins
Jordan Crombie
Niall Frampton


Programme Cover :

To follow.


Match Report :

Syngenta play home games at Stenhousemuir but to accommodate Queen’s Park, who are also currently sharing Ochilview and who were at home to Raith Rovers in the SPFL, this fixture was reversed with the Grangemouth-based side paying a first visit to Old Shielfield.


The four goals came in pairs; two early on and another couple around the half hour mark. Rangers kicked off with a 5:3:2 formation but numbers at the back didn’t count for much when corners, directly and indirectly, led to two of the goals.

Syngenta’s opening corner in the 5th minute was played short to Reece Glackin to loft the ball on to Liam Taggart for a header which Stephen Mason’s outstretched hand could only help into the top right of his net.

Two minutes later, Andrew Johnston collected a short ball inside the penalty area before turning to plant it into the diagonally opposite corner of the goal.

Tweedmouth not only had to contend with the footballing ability of a team currently occupying a promotion place in the East of Scotland Second Division but were up against a strong wind which the visitors took every opportunity to exploit. A consequence was that home attacks were few in number. In the 14th minute, keeper Lewis Duffy had to come out and use both fists to deal with a long throw in from Kyle Wood, a rare instance of home pressure.

Mason’s foot stopped Johnston bagging a second goal whilst, after Syngenta had cut the home defence wide open, it was the referee’s whistle for offside which prevented Kevin Fotheringham from scoring in the 26th minute.

He was happier four minutes later when his corner from the left swung straight into the net to make it 3-0. Fotheringham was on target a minute later though there was a slice of luck about this one, only getting the ball when Rhys Dixon slipped whilst in possession.

Johnston again missed the chance of a second goal, this time lifting the ball straight into Mason’s arms to conclude a quick counter attack after Duffy ran out to beat Craig Bell to Kieran Cromarty’s potentially productive pass at the other end.


Tweedmouth switched to 4:4:2 with Melvin Sebastian coming on in midfield. Syngenta got little change out of Jack Forster now playing at the back and scoring opportunities were roughly equally divided between both teams.

Michael Robinson was just over the bar from the edge of the box after Rangers’ 54th minute corner was headed out. He might have gone on to score with a couple of lobs. There were loud appeals for a penalty when teammates believed Jay Atkinson was fouled. Soon after his entry, another young substitute, Jack Cummings, was unlucky not to mark his League debut with a goal. Both incidents occurred at the end of home build ups unseen in the opening 45 minutes.

Tweedmouth’s offside trap was also working well. When onside, Syngenta also passed up several good chances. One of the best saw Ian Smith break several tackles only to fire straight at Mason. Plus, inside the final five minutes, Rangers’ keeper twice made last second saves, scooping the ball away with his hand to keep the second half scoreless.


Despite an improved display, Tweedmouth were disappointed not to score during a second half in which the wind eased a bit. It was some consolation that neither did Syngenta.


Pictures :

No photographer present.