Date : 7th May 2022

Opposition : Dalkeith Thistle

Venue : Home

Scorers : None

Booked : Rhys Dixon, Jay Baverstock

Sent Off : None

Attendance : 66

Match & Ball Sponsor : JT Dove Building Materials


Team Lineup :

Niall Frampton
Jack Forster
Rhys Dixon
Craig Heath
Evan Smith
Archie Roue
Drew Cummings
Craig Bell
Michael Robinson
Jay Baverstock
Regan Graham

Subs :

Joao Vieira on for Craig Bell 70 mins


Programme Cover :

To follow


Match Report – by Michael Smyth :

Old Shielfield was bathed in sunshine for Tweedmouth’s last home League game of the season. There wasn’t much between the teams but, on an immaculate playing surface, Rangers succumbed to two relatively soft goals.

The first came barely a minute after kick off. Dalkeith worked the ball across field from left to right where it came the wrong way off Rhys Dixon’s head leaving Josh Davidson to plant it behind keeper Niall Frampton.

Thistle went on to win a handful of first half corners interspersed with long range efforts from Ross Aitchison ( just wide of Frampton’s post ) and Michael Fairnie ( three feet over the bar ). Diving Dalkeith keeper Dean Beveridge wouldn’t have reached it but following a three man lead up, Rangers’ Regan Graham’s strike from outside the area had also been destined to finish the wrong side of the upright.

Beveridge also blocked Drew Cummings’ bid to turn his interchange of passes with Jay Baverstock into a mid-half equaliser whilst, closer to the interval, it was more a case of the keeper just being in the way when Craig Bell turned to try to hit home Michael Robinson’s pass.

The opening twenty minutes of the second half proved to be Rangers’ purple patch but, despite inducing some initial panic in the visitors’ defence, they had nothing to show for it. To their credit, Dalkeith steadied to nullify their opponents’ attempts to finish off in the final third of the field though luck was on their side when Baverstock hit the top of the post following pressure from Graham and Archie Roue. This after Robinson’s header went outside the opposite post when another exchange of passes between Baverstock and Cummings led to the former sending over a good cross from the left.

Dalkeith lost scorer Davidson, helped off with a 55th minute leg injury. Their second goal, in the 71st minute, was somewhat against the run of play but was indicative of the way Thistle were operating, defending in numbers and then hoping to catch out Tweedmouth on the break. Frampton could only pat down Dylan Greig’s right wing cross giving the awaiting Duncan Muir an easy tap in.

The task proved harder for Muir when the ball fortuitously fell his way again inside the box and this time was well off target. In contrast, Frampton was flying as he saved from Jordan Mackie.
With the minutes ticking away, Tweedmouth resorted to long shots but Roue’s landed over the bar and Robinson’s beyond the post.

Tweedmouth travel to Ormiston next Saturday, May 14th and Dunipace on May 28th for their final League games. In between they have an outstanding League Cup fixture at home to Thornton Hibs on May 21st