Date : 16th April 2022

Opposition : Edinburgh United

Venue : Away

Scorers : None

Booked : Rhys Dixon, Archie Roue, Drew Cummings

Sent Off : Neil Oliver (manager)

Attendance : 31

Match & Ball Sponsor : None


Team Lineup :

Niall Frampton
Joao Vieira
Rhys Dixon
Craig Heath
Evan Smith
Jack Forster
Drew Cummings
Archie Roue
Andy Wilson
Jay Baverstock
Regan Graham

Subs :

Sean Campbell on for Andy Wilson 60 mins
Michael Robinson on for Jack Forster 75 mins


Programme Cover :

None, away game


Match Report – by Michael Smyth :

Two red card-related incidents in the final four minutes conspired to thwart Rangers from gaining a deserved share of the spoils at Paties Road Stadium in Colinton. First to go was United’s Robbie Dowie for a last man foul on Tweedmouth sub Michael Robinson as he raced past him towards goal.

As the visitors continued to press for a late equaliser, Robinson’s well hit volley was headed over the bar by a defender. Seconds later, Rangers’ manager Neil Oliver was sent from the technical area as he protested against the non award of a penalty for the way Drew Cummings was dispossessed well inside the penalty area following the corner kick.

It wasn’t the only penalty issue of the afternoon. United were awarded one in the 57th minute for a foul which even some in the home camp thought had been committed outside the box. Fortunately for Rangers, Steven Clarke’s kick hit the post. They were already trailing at this point after conceding seven minutes earlier. Sonny Swanson’s free kick was from such an angle that it almost resembled a corner. Keeper Niall Frampton managed to palm away the initial delivery but Kevin Walker took the second chance.

In the 31st minute at the same end, Craig Heath appeared to be fouled close in as he attempted to net after Jay Baverstock hit the post but Edinburgh escaped without sanction. Three minutes later, good play from Cummings led to his short cross to Joao Vieira, cleverly positioned unmarked at the far post, but his header finished over the bar.

It took Tweedmouth around twenty minutes to really get into the game. They might have fallen behind after the first but Ryan Quinn’s header dropped into Frampton’s arms as it came off the bar. The city side were winning corners. One resulted in Frampton tipping Dowie’s header over the goal frame for yet another. Meanwhile, his counterpart Andy Jack was forced to leave his area to head away the ball to stop Andy Wilson reaching it.

Swanson’s bid to conclude the opening 45 minutes with a goal saw the ball reach safety off Frampton’s knees. Jack’s best save, from Regan Graham around the middle of the second half, was more orthodox but those two controversies saved him from being seriously tested again inside the game’s final heated minutes.